After weeks of effort (snatching a few minutes here and there from everyday life), I’m happy to announce my first GitHub project: Up2date.
What is Up2date?
Up2date makes it easy for you to track your favorite websites by scrapping their home page every day and mailing you a daily summary. Talk about saving time! Of course it can’t automatically crawl any website; you have to add the rules yourself, but hey, it’s well worth the effort!
Why did I create Up2date?
This projects solved many things for me in one stroke:
- Demonstrate that I love Python instead of just talking about it.
- Use Python in a real-life example.
- Purchase and set up an independent cloud server.
- Set up Postfix and SPF, etc., to enable mailing capability.
- Get introduced to Flask, Virtualenv and BeautifulSoup4.
There are a ton of improvements to be made, but I’m happy with the start. 🙂